No. 83, Peanut Butter and Jelly Donut at the Donuttery
Photo by Courtney Hamilton Peanut butter: the donut condiment you never knew you needed.
Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
The Donuttery has revamped the classic jelly doughnut in a way so simple it should become standard at all doughnut shops: Slap some peanut butter on that baby!
Not that any other place could come close to the fluffy, creamy, crunchy joy at Huntington Beach's best doughnut stop. Atop a strawberry jelly doughnut that actually tastes of real strawberry, the shop slathers a sugared peanut butter spread and a generous sprinkle of chopped peanuts. Peanut butter is the condiment you never knew this doughnut needed. Its saltiness contrasts the sweet, fruity jelly while melding with the fluffy dough and holding the crunchy nuts in place.
As dense as this doughnut is, the peanut butter rescues it from overwhelming your tastebuds with sweetness--something you've already received plenty of from the cheery cashier.
84. Dan Dan Mian at Wei-Shian Noodle
85. Beef Burger at Rider's Club Café
86. Smoked Trout at Provenance
87. Small Plates at A&J Restaurant
88. Corn Cheese at Zoomak Asian Bistro
89. Pumpkin Curry at Bhan Baitong
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar