74. Doughnuts from Sidecar
Photo by Das Ubergeek Mmmm...donuts
Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
Cupcakeries may implode and the croissant-doughnut hybrid may make its way into the dustbin of history, but the doughnut will never die. We Americans love our doughnuts. They're the default offering at corporate meetings and the "treat" breakfast for kids all over.
Unlike other hyped sweet treats, fancy doughnuts are likely to stay, because a doughnut from Sidecar is demonstrably better than any other doughnut in these fair orange acres.
When your product is actually better, your business thrives, as evidenced by the long lines that still plague the tiny shop tucked away on 17th Street.
Incidentally, it doesn't matter what kind they have that day: they're all good and, shockingly, worth the high price. You're not supposed to eat three anyway.
75. Lengua Tacos at La Chonita>
76. Oysters from Carlsbad Aquafarm at the Orange Homegrown Farmers Market
77. Lemon Miso Crab Melt at Umami Burger in Laguna Beach
78. Pani Puri from Adya
79. The Pocket at the Pocket Burger
80. Gyro Sandwich from Paul's Place
81. Slice of Heaven at Pie-Not
82. Taquitos at El Toro Bravo
83. Peanut Butter and Jelly Donut at the Donuttery
84. Dan Dan Mian at Wei-Shian Noodle
85. Beef Burger at Rider's Club Café
86. Smoked Trout at Provenance
87. Small Plates at A&J Restaurant
88. Corn Cheese at Zoomak Asian Bistro
89. Pumpkin Curry at Bhan Baitong
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar