79. The Pocket at the Pocket Burger
Photo by Moss Perricone Pocket, pocket, pocket!
Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
Story by Moss Perricone
It's a burger's responsibility to hold itself together, not mine. That being said, an important exception for the Pocket at the Pocket Burger Shack in Sunset Beach, because any joint that sticks a fried egg in their namesake burger deserves our respect. It's as if they're saying, "A burger is incomplete without an egg," and I commend them on such a bold, delicious statement. You will too when you hit that firm, yellow center.
Their patty is standard--really, just a vehicle for the stranger flavors that is the infamous Pocket Sauce. That dark mystery sauce, that exotic sweetness infusing itself into fat wedges of avocado that some swear is sweetened teriyaki--but that doesn't account for the depth of flavor, which I say recalls unagi sauce.
And here's where you make the mess that makes this burger work in your favor. Irrigate the drip so that it spills down onto your fries rather than your forearms and, in the immortal words of Carl Weathers, "Baby you've got a stew going."
80. Gyro Sandwich from Paul's Place
81. Slice of Heaven at Pie-Not
82. Taquitos at El Toro Bravo
83. Peanut Butter and Jelly Donut at the Donuttery
84. Dan Dan Mian at Wei-Shian Noodle
85. Beef Burger at Rider's Club Café
86. Smoked Trout at Provenance
87. Small Plates at A&J Restaurant
88. Corn Cheese at Zoomak Asian Bistro
89. Pumpkin Curry at Bhan Baitong
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar