80. Gyro Sandwich from Paul's Place
Photo by Das Ubergeek Good ol' Paul's...
Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
We don't have Greek food in Orange County, or not much of it, anyway. That's because our Greeks are busy running the closest thing we have to a New Jersey diner: the catch-all short-order cafe. There are dozens of them all over OC, but Paul's Place, right at Taft and Glassell Street (the worst-designed intersection in the county), touts its Greekness out loud and proud: the house dressing is a dead ringer for Greek lemon dressing, and there are gyros on the menu not masquerading as shawarma.
And though the meat is the usual tube o' stuff, it's actually cooked so the edges crisp, cut in satisfyingly thick chunks, and laid generously on a pita with a lot of onion. It takes a lot for a new restaurant to spring to my mind when trying to decide where to go for lunch, and I find myself saying, "You know, I really want a gyro from Paul's."
Paul's Place, 125 E. Taft Ave., Orange; 714-283-8701; paulsplaceoc.com.
81. Slice of Heaven at Pie-Not
82. Taquitos at El Toro Bravo
83. Peanut Butter and Jelly Donut at the Donuttery
84. Dan Dan Mian at Wei-Shian Noodle
85. Beef Burger at Rider's Club Café
86. Smoked Trout at Provenance
87. Small Plates at A&J Restaurant
88. Corn Cheese at Zoomak Asian Bistro
89. Pumpkin Curry at Bhan Baitong
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar