73. Dutch Baby at the Original Pancake House
Photo by Moss Perricone Epic
Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
Don't let last night's mistakes carry on into the morning after--the Original Pancake House is where you should be eating on a recovering stomach. Their Dutch Baby, a diner's take on the German apfelpfannkuchen, is what pancakes would look like if they were directed by Tim Burton.
The puffy remains of a deflated popover surround a thick sheet of crepe like the ridged ring of a volcanic crater. It comes to your table only three-quarters of the way finished; that last quarter is on you.
This involves sprinkling powdered sugar around the center of the pancake, following it up with generous squeezes of lemon. It all culminates in a tart, manageable meal that won't add "food coma" to your list of morning after ailments.
74. Doughnuts from Sidecar
75. Lengua Tacos at La Chonita
76. Oysters from Carlsbad Aquafarm at the Orange Homegrown Farmers Market
77. Lemon Miso Crab Melt at Umami Burger in Laguna Beach
78. Pani Puri from Adya
79. The Pocket at the Pocket Burger
80. Gyro Sandwich from Paul's Place
81. Slice of Heaven at Pie-Not
82. Taquitos at El Toro Bravo
83. Peanut Butter and Jelly Donut at the Donuttery
84. Dan Dan Mian at Wei-Shian Noodle
85. Beef Burger at Rider's Club Café
86. Smoked Trout at Provenance
87. Small Plates at A&J Restaurant
88. Corn Cheese at Zoomak Asian Bistro
89. Pumpkin Curry at Bhan Baitong
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar