76. Oysters from Carlsbad Aquafarm at the Orange Homegrown Farmers Market
Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
Photo by Das Ubergeek Slurp it up!
No disrespect to the dens of oysters that are cropping up throughout Orange County, but the best oysters are those eaten under a wide blue sky, whether it's on the shoreline of Prince Edward Island, along the Saône River in Lyon, France, or at the very popular Orange Homegrown Farmers Market.
Carlsbad Aquafarm, which provides sustainably farmed oysters to restaurants all over southern California, has a stall at the market. While you can buy mussels and oysters to take home, they'll also shuck a half a dozen or a dozen for you to eat on the spot, with hot sauce and lemon. There's something about plump, meaty, briny oysters for breakfast that sets a great tone for the day; the only thing better would be day drinking with a glass of Petit Chablis.
Orange Homegrown Farmers Market, 304 N. Cypress St., Orange; no phone; orangehomegrown.org; Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
77. Lemon Miso Crab Melt at Umami Burger in Laguna Beach
78. Pani Puri from Adya
79. The Pocket at the Pocket Burger
80. Gyro Sandwich from Paul's Place
81. Slice of Heaven at Pie-Not
82. Taquitos at El Toro Bravo
83. Peanut Butter and Jelly Donut at the Donuttery
84. Dan Dan Mian at Wei-Shian Noodle
85. Beef Burger at Rider's Club Café
86. Smoked Trout at Provenance
87. Small Plates at A&J Restaurant
88. Corn Cheese at Zoomak Asian Bistro
89. Pumpkin Curry at Bhan Baitong
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar