75. Lengua Tacos at La Chonita
Photo by Moss Perricone Tongue 'em up!
Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
Get ready to associate quality Mexican food with gabacho musical theatre kids. Because the taco truck on the corner of Sycamore Street and Civic Center Drive--a favorite for students at the Orange County School of the Arts--serves one of the finest lengua tacos you'll find in OC.
This truck hasn't received the luxe lonchera memo that even Mexican-owned taco trucks need to pimp their ride. It's stripped down, basic, completely devoid of style. But no amount of ambiance or atmosphere can top standing on the sidewalk in the hot afternoon sun, dousing fat chunks of tongue in lime. And no amount of artisan craftsmanship can top the way fatty lengua melts in your mouth, the way it pushes small flour tortillas to their breaking point, to the brink of spilling open.
Get to the truck around 11:30 on a weekday to watch OCSA students dodge referrals in a nervous attempt to score these tacos on their lunch break.
At the corner of Sycamore Street and Civic Center Drive, SanTana, (714) 812-2691.
76. Oysters from Carlsbad Aquafarm at the Orange Homegrown Farmers Market
77. Lemon Miso Crab Melt at Umami Burger in Laguna Beach
78. Pani Puri from Adya
79. The Pocket at the Pocket Burger
80. Gyro Sandwich from Paul's Place
81. Slice of Heaven at Pie-Not
82. Taquitos at El Toro Bravo
83. Peanut Butter and Jelly Donut at the Donuttery
84. Dan Dan Mian at Wei-Shian Noodle
85. Beef Burger at Rider's Club Café
86. Smoked Trout at Provenance
87. Small Plates at A&J Restaurant
88. Corn Cheese at Zoomak Asian Bistro
89. Pumpkin Curry at Bhan Baitong
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar