No. 88, Corn Cheese at Zoomak Asian Bistro
Behold the beginning of our annual 100 Favorite Dishes countdown! Every day until the publication of our fantabulous Best Of Issue, we'll list our favorite meals this year in descending order. Enjoy, pass it on, and tune in daily!
Edwin Goei Corn. Cheese. What else do you need to know?
Perhaps the most literal foodstuff on Earth, the Korean pub food called "corn cheese" consists of corn niblets straight out of a can mixed with grated mozzarella cheese and mayonnaise, the whole thing broiled on a fajita skillet and served at your table still fuming. It may sound revolting, but it's a glorious dish.
The union of sweet corn and salty cheese is nothing short of kismet. And whenever I'm scooping some out, the stretchy spider webs of mozzarella trailing my spoon as though it were a Chicago deep dish, I know that pours of ice-cold Hite and soju are forthcoming--because when there's corn cheese on the table, I'm in Korean bar and the fun times are just about to begin.
Such is the way you need to start your night at Zoomak Asian Bistro in Buena Park. An order of corn cheese seems as obligatory as hot wings in an American one, leading to more drinks, more food, and most likely, another order of corn cheese.
89. Pumpkin Curry at Bhan Baitong
90. Poke at Costco Tustin II
91. Pambazo at Tacos Radioactivos
92. Beef Pho at Pho Crystal Noodle House
93. Breakfast Burrito from Cafe Calacas
94. Koobideh Plate from Grill Cafe
95. Tacos de Cecina from Alebrije's
97. Breakfast Sausage from Da-Le Ranch
99. Tres Amigos Burrito from Piaggio on Wheels
100. Bacon-Wrapped Dates from Lola Gaspar