Poorman's OC '4 Under $6': Hitting 48 OC Bars During Super Bowl 48 (The Exciting Conclusion!)
Before we begin bar hopping again (See Part 1), a couple quick observations about the Super Bowl 48 OC Beach Bar scene:
1. This Super Bowl was the most watched ever with 111.5 million viewers, but it certainly didn't translate to bar attendance. Not one single bar I visited was packed with a line at the door. You could walk right in anywhere.
2. Only 1 bar had a cover charge ($100. Keep reading!).
3. Every bar visit was unannounced. At some I was recognized; at others, not.
4. Every bar was friendly with the exception of 1 (Woody's Wharf. See Part 1).
5. No drunk customers assaulted me except at 1 bar (a 70 year old drunk English dude. Keep reading!).
6. I tried not to spend more than 5-10 minutes per bar visit. What made the stays longer were my time consuming social media posts at each stop on my Facebook Page (@Jim Poorman Trenton), Twitter (@Poorman1), and taking Pics. That doubled, and sometimes tripled the time!
OK, let's get going. I believe the Super Bowl had just begun, and I was hitting Bar 14...
Bar 14 Cassidy's Bar And Grill Newport Blvd., Newport Beach 3:26 PM Start Of Game Cassidy's AKA 'Catch A Disease' is a legendary dive bar in Newport Beach. I have been there many, many times! No snobby attitude. it's always no frills. Same situation on Super Sunday. They had a small crowd chill in' at the bar, and watching the game on just a couple TVs. No drink specials, no Super Bowl extras. Nothing special. "Hey, we're Cassidy's, take it or leave it'. The most remarkable thing going on was seeing Russell Wilson sitting at that bar! Wasn't he supposed to be in New Jersey at Met Life Stadium? Anyhow, I'm sure Cassidy's got "busy" after the game. It's a great late night hook up destination on any occasion!
3:33 PM Met some friends on the way to Bar 15
Bar 16 Newport Beach Brewing Company Newport Blvd., Newport Beach 4:04 PM Aww, the Brew Co! This was a Raging Party! Big Crowd, Lots Of Food, Drinks, Microbrew Beers, and 26 TVs. The Brew Co. is a great place to watch a Super Bowl. At this point, the score was Seahawks 5, Broncos zip. The route was just beginning.