No. 73, Urban 3b at Urban Seoul
Hey, kids: guess what time is it? It's time to restart that Long March known as 100 Favorite Dishes (INSERT YEAR). YEAH!!!
Hey, don't ding us for listicles: Weekly DataLab studies show ustedes love this gimmick, launched in honor of our coming Best Of issue. Besides, it is rather fun to do this for us Forkers--an opportunity to highlight dishes from restaurants we'll never fully review, or secrets from old standbys. Anyhoo, let the march begin...
Diamond Jamboree's draw is understandable: A bunch of Asian cuisines, grocery store, ridiculously busy bakery, even karaoke can be found here. But when you visit here enough times, the first and last thought that crosses your mind concerns your safety as you navigate the oft times ruthless parking lot. Newbie tenant Kacy Jun caught our attention with his interpretation of a classic Korean meal in his modest, urban space.
Bibimbap (3b for short) is, in simple terms, a rice bowl with meat and veggies. The version we're given is a study in food porn. Chewy purple rice hides beneath a garden of eating. Matchstick radish, carrots, leafy Romaine, red cabbage and fried shallots were placed with care, so as not to disturb his piece de resistance. We're talking about another fine example of perfectly poached egg. We did our best to make it a healthy meal, and requested a scoop of spicy tuna to mix into all our ingredients.
We were full without feeling weighed down. It was akin to a rice salad, as we chewed through a mix of textures. Our broken yolk sauced the contents of our bowl nicely, as we contemplated dessert options. Afterwards, we added it to our mental list of Lenten options.
74. Waffles & Chicken from The Slummin' Gourmet & Waffles de Liege
75. Ahi Tuna Tartar at Nieuport 17
76. Chicken Wings at Hashigo Korean Kitchen
77. Brussels Sprouts Pizza at Pizzeria Mozza
78. Breakfast Sausage Hash at Thasos Greek Island Grille
79. Chocolate Doughnut with Jacobsen Sea Salt at Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee
80. Loco Moco Dog at Dogzilla
81. Fruit Tart at Le Croissant Dore
82. Daing Na Bangus (Marinated Milkfish) Silog Breakfast at Chowking
83. Strawberry Basil Lemonade at Mick's Karma Bar
84. Lemongrass Chicken Salad at Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop
85. Tofu Soup at Tasty Thai
86. Take-Out Dim Sum at Capital B.B.Q. and Dim Sum Express
87. Hodo Gwaja at Cocohodo
88. Popcorn Chicken Salad at Guppy House
89. Fried Okra at Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar
90. Salted Egg With Bitter Melon & Scrambled Egg at Tasty Noodle House
91. Boysenberry Lemonade from Bautista Creek Local Produce at SOCO Farmers' Market
92. Scallop Carpaccio with Curry Oil and Yuzu Vinaigrette from Cafe Hiro
93. White Board Specials at Taco Adobe
94. Coney Dog at LinX
95. Halal Pizzas from San Giovanni Pizzas
96. Clayuda at El Fortín
97. Lunch Buffet at Dosa Express
98. The Meats at Darya in Orange
99. Panocha at Taquería Zamora
100. Bean-and-Cheese Burrito from Del Taco