No. 78, Breakfast Sausage Hash at Thasos Greek Island Grille
Hey, kids: guess what time is it? It's time to restart that Long March known as 100 Favorite Dishes (INSERT YEAR). YEAH!!!
Hey, don't ding us for listicles: Weekly DataLab studies show ustedes love this gimmick, launched in honor of our coming Best Of issue. Besides, it is rather fun to do this for us Forkers--an opportunity to highlight dishes from restaurants we'll never fully review, or secrets from old standbys. Anyhoo, let the march begin...
We are always on the lookout for an excellent brekkie. Some of our favorites are found in unexpected places. . . like inside a Greek restaurant. While Thasos lists three locations (their Sawdust Festival spot is seasonal), only Santa Ana housed one Nathaniel Nguyen. His specialty: PPE.
Ah, yes. Those perfectly poached eggs. His take on bagels and lox includes them, and they are especially appreciated atop hearty breakfast hash. The golden yolk coats a medley of parsnips, sweet potatoes and choice of Loukaniko (chicken) or bifteki (beef) sausage. We thoroughly enjoy the food porn that results from breaking that egg.
The beauty of this meal is that it tastes as good as (if not better than) it appears. Each bite holds a little bit of everything, thanks to Nguyen's uniform mise en place. He also seasons his dishes just enough to bring out the flavors of its ingredients. Sadly, his "Morning by Thasos" was, like most pop-ups, temporary. We don't exactly know what Nathaniel is up to these days, but we're certain he'll be the prince of his pantry.
79. Chocolate Doughnut with Jacobsen Sea Salt at Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee
80. Loco Moco Dog at Dogzilla
81. Fruit Tart at Le Croissant Dore
82. Daing Na Bangus (Marinated Milkfish) Silog Breakfast at Chowking
83. Strawberry Basil Lemonade at Mick's Karma Bar
84. Lemongrass Chicken Salad at Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop
85. Tofu Soup at Tasty Thai
86. Take-Out Dim Sum at Capital B.B.Q. and Dim Sum Express
87. Hodo Gwaja at Cocohodo
88. Popcorn Chicken Salad at Guppy House
89. Fried Okra at Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar
90. Salted Egg With Bitter Melon & Scrambled Egg at Tasty Noodle House
91. Boysenberry Lemonade from Bautista Creek Local Produce at SOCO Farmers' Market
92. Scallop Carpaccio with Curry Oil and Yuzu Vinaigrette from Cafe Hiro
93. White Board Specials at Taco Adobe
94. Coney Dog at LinX
95. Halal Pizzas from San Giovanni Pizzas
96. Clayuda at El Fortín
97. Lunch Buffet at Dosa Express
98. The Meats at Darya in Orange
99. Panocha at Taquería Zamora
100. Bean-and-Cheese Burrito from Del Taco