No. 71, Shrimp & Grits at Slapfish
Hey, kids: guess what time is it? It's time to restart that Long March known as 100 Favorite Dishes (INSERT YEAR). YEAH!!!
Hey, don't ding us for listicles: Weekly DataLab studies show ustedes love this gimmick, launched in honor of our coming Best Of issue. Besides, it is rather fun to do this for us Forkers--an opportunity to highlight dishes from restaurants we'll never fully review, or secrets from old standbys. Anyhoo, let the march begin...
Back in January, we checked out the Sunday brunch specials over at Slapfish Huntington Beach. One entree in particular stood out so much, we remarked it would make our Top 100. And so it's time to give credit where credit is due.
In addition to starting an uppity luxe lonchera and neighborhood brick-and-mortar, our fishermen duo know how to serve up a tasty brekkie. Forkers who believe the most important meal is also the easiest to cook don't know Jack. Eggs can be rubbery; bacon burned beyond recognition. It takes skill and patience to drop two with a stack of Vermont. Their defunct experimentation turned out one of the best looking meals we've photographed.
Our work of art began with a sauce drawing flavors from Coca-Cola. Embedded in the dish were chunks of shrimp, but don't ask if they were in the gravy or the grits (we're guessing gravy), because our memory ain't what it used to be. Grits are so rarely used around here, we had to have a heaping serving on our plate. Seasoned by minions, the crowning egg touch gave the dish stature. We couldn't believe how tasty the cola gravy was, but a meal with that much complexity collected feedback like cronut layers.
For the record, we miss brunch. Bring it back, guys!
72. Bacon Cotton Candy at Biggy's Meat Market
73. Urban 3b at Urban Seoul
74. Waffles & Chicken from The Slummin' Gourmet & Waffles de Liege
75. Ahi Tuna Tartar at Nieuport 17
76. Chicken Wings at Hashigo Korean Kitchen
77. Brussels Sprouts Pizza at Pizzeria Mozza
78. Breakfast Sausage Hash at Thasos Greek Island Grille
79. Chocolate Doughnut with Jacobsen Sea Salt at Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee
80. Loco Moco Dog at Dogzilla
81. Fruit Tart at Le Croissant Dore
82. Daing Na Bangus (Marinated Milkfish) Silog Breakfast at Chowking
83. Strawberry Basil Lemonade at Mick's Karma Bar
84. Lemongrass Chicken Salad at Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop
85. Tofu Soup at Tasty Thai
86. Take-Out Dim Sum at Capital B.B.Q. and Dim Sum Express
87. Hodo Gwaja at Cocohodo
88. Popcorn Chicken Salad at Guppy House
89. Fried Okra at Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar
90. Salted Egg With Bitter Melon & Scrambled Egg at Tasty Noodle House
91. Boysenberry Lemonade from Bautista Creek Local Produce at SOCO Farmers' Market
92. Scallop Carpaccio with Curry Oil and Yuzu Vinaigrette from Cafe Hiro
93. White Board Specials at Taco Adobe
94. Coney Dog at LinX
95. Halal Pizzas from San Giovanni Pizzas
96. Clayuda at El Fortín
97. Lunch Buffet at Dosa Express
98. The Meats at Darya in Orange
99. Panocha at Taquería Zamora
100. Bean-and-Cheese Burrito from Del Taco