No. 77, Brussels Sprouts Pizza at Pizzeria Mozza
Hey, kids: guess what time is it? It's time to restart that Long March known as 100 Favorite Dishes (INSERT YEAR). YEAH!!!
Hey, don't ding us for listicles: Weekly DataLab studies show ustedes love this gimmick, launched in honor of our coming Best Of issue. Besides, it is rather fun to do this for us Forkers--an opportunity to highlight dishes from restaurants we'll never fully review, or secrets from old standbys. Anyhoo, let the march begin...
After all the fuss we made over the impending opening of Pizzeria Mozza, we refused to go. Actually, we didn't want to deal with the crowds and overpriced valet. Okay, okay. Nobody would go with us because they already went (plus all the other reasons). So by the time we got around to lunching here, we didn't know what to expect. And while we loved the LA locale, we had yet to have a slice of what they're known for.
We should start by stating a fact: We do not prefer thin crust pizza. We like our dough with a little more heft. Pizza is not meant to be folded. It's an all-encompassing meal, not a work of art. That being said, we took a leap of faith when ordering. Brussels sprouts didn't sound like an appetizing topping, but would the toppings take our mind off an airy, blistered pie (or would it be the other way around)? It was both.
Our veg gave the plate depth we weren't counting on. Having more character than the salty pecorino and pancetta, sprouts mimicked the crust. Their featherweight leaves, despite being charred around the edges, tasted good. No, they were great. They made our white pizza slightly bitter and oddly crunchy in a good way. While this combination might not be for everyone, it became our gateway crust. Now we just need to find someone to go back with us.
78. Breakfast Sausage Hash at Thasos Greek Island Grille
79. Chocolate Doughnut with Jacobsen Sea Salt at Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee
80. Loco Moco Dog at Dogzilla
81. Fruit Tart at Le Croissant Dore
82. Daing Na Bangus (Marinated Milkfish) Silog Breakfast at Chowking
83. Strawberry Basil Lemonade at Mick's Karma Bar
84. Lemongrass Chicken Salad at Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop
85. Tofu Soup at Tasty Thai
86. Take-Out Dim Sum at Capital B.B.Q. and Dim Sum Express
87. Hodo Gwaja at Cocohodo
88. Popcorn Chicken Salad at Guppy House
89. Fried Okra at Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar
90. Salted Egg With Bitter Melon & Scrambled Egg at Tasty Noodle House
91. Boysenberry Lemonade from Bautista Creek Local Produce at SOCO Farmers' Market
92. Scallop Carpaccio with Curry Oil and Yuzu Vinaigrette from Cafe Hiro
93. White Board Specials at Taco Adobe
94. Coney Dog at LinX
95. Halal Pizzas from San Giovanni Pizzas
96. Clayuda at El Fortín
97. Lunch Buffet at Dosa Express
98. The Meats at Darya in Orange
99. Panocha at Taquería Zamora
100. Bean-and-Cheese Burrito from Del Taco