No. 75, Ahi Tuna Tartar at Nieuport 17
Hey, kids: guess what time is it? It's time to restart that Long March known as 100 Favorite Dishes (INSERT YEAR). YEAH!!!
Hey, don't ding us for listicles: Weekly DataLab studies show ustedes love this gimmick, launched in honor of our coming Best Of issue. Besides, it is rather fun to do this for us Forkers--an opportunity to highlight dishes from restaurants we'll never fully review, or secrets from old standbys. Anyhoo, let the march begin...
As Chef de Cuisine at Nieuport 17, Greg Moro strives to build a clientele that can appreciate his style of cooking. Diners here are accustomed to the classic, Continental fare served for the last 40 years. However, he's gradually winning them over-- one dish at a time.
Two things we seldom find ourselves discussing are seafood and raw cuisine. So when a dish comes around that piques our interest, it belongs on the countdown. Moro's version of tuna tartar is a prime example. His attractive starter was plated with such attention to detail, we hesitated to dig in. A foundation of spicy avocado supported delicate, sesame marinated ahi. Its wasabi cream cheese sauce brought the flavor components together, and was easily scooped up with wontons fried in-house.
Chef Moro's take on a stuffy appetizer amused our palate with each bite. The contrast between opposing textures and eye-catching hues kept our senses busy. Pour a glass of red, and it's the start of a beautiful friendship. Be sure to order two, though, because we're not sharing next time.
76. Chicken Wings at Hashigo Korean Kitchen
77. Brussels Sprouts Pizza at Pizzeria Mozza
78. Breakfast Sausage Hash at Thasos Greek Island Grille
79. Chocolate Doughnut with Jacobsen Sea Salt at Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee
80. Loco Moco Dog at Dogzilla
81. Fruit Tart at Le Croissant Dore
82. Daing Na Bangus (Marinated Milkfish) Silog Breakfast at Chowking
83. Strawberry Basil Lemonade at Mick's Karma Bar
84. Lemongrass Chicken Salad at Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop
85. Tofu Soup at Tasty Thai
86. Take-Out Dim Sum at Capital B.B.Q. and Dim Sum Express
87. Hodo Gwaja at Cocohodo
88. Popcorn Chicken Salad at Guppy House
89. Fried Okra at Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar
90. Salted Egg With Bitter Melon & Scrambled Egg at Tasty Noodle House
91. Boysenberry Lemonade from Bautista Creek Local Produce at SOCO Farmers' Market
92. Scallop Carpaccio with Curry Oil and Yuzu Vinaigrette from Cafe Hiro
93. White Board Specials at Taco Adobe
94. Coney Dog at LinX
95. Halal Pizzas from San Giovanni Pizzas
96. Clayuda at El Fortín
97. Lunch Buffet at Dosa Express
98. The Meats at Darya in Orange
99. Panocha at Taquería Zamora
100. Bean-and-Cheese Burrito from Del Taco