No. 76, Chicken Wings at Hashigo Korean Kitchen
Hey, kids: guess what time is it? It's time to restart that Long March known as 100 Favorite Dishes (INSERT YEAR). YEAH!!!
Hey, don't ding us for listicles: Weekly DataLab studies show ustedes love this gimmick, launched in honor of our coming Best Of issue. Besides, it is rather fun to do this for us Forkers--an opportunity to highlight dishes from restaurants we'll never fully review, or secrets from old standbys. Anyhoo, let the march begin...
Due to the nature of our Weekling duties, we are constantly trying new places. When the occasion arises to revisit some of our favorites, we find ourselves parking by a trio of Asian establishments situated at Bristol and Paularino. More often than not, our dinner companion leans towards Hashigo. Why? It has everything to do with their wings.
These aren't your standard, deep fried appetizers. Let's start with appearance. Served piping hot, their golden, tempura-battered exterior results in a delicate crust. As we bite into one, it isn't oil, but juices dripping down our fingers. That hint of sweetness stems from a drizzle of sauce, although there's plenty flavor where that came from.
Time and time again, we order these.They are consistent in every way each time we do, leading us to wonder what their secret is. While chicken wings can be ordered spicy, we opt for plain. A designated duo of sweet/spicy dipping sauces will decide their fate. Their generous serving (individually and overall) of drummettes and wings makes them perfect for sharing. They make us both happy, and that's all that matters.
77. Brussels Sprouts Pizza at Pizzeria Mozza
78. Breakfast Sausage Hash at Thasos Greek Island Grille
79. Chocolate Doughnut with Jacobsen Sea Salt at Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee
80. Loco Moco Dog at Dogzilla
81. Fruit Tart at Le Croissant Dore
82. Daing Na Bangus (Marinated Milkfish) Silog Breakfast at Chowking
83. Strawberry Basil Lemonade at Mick's Karma Bar
84. Lemongrass Chicken Salad at Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop
85. Tofu Soup at Tasty Thai
86. Take-Out Dim Sum at Capital B.B.Q. and Dim Sum Express
87. Hodo Gwaja at Cocohodo
88. Popcorn Chicken Salad at Guppy House
89. Fried Okra at Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar
90. Salted Egg With Bitter Melon & Scrambled Egg at Tasty Noodle House
91. Boysenberry Lemonade from Bautista Creek Local Produce at SOCO Farmers' Market
92. Scallop Carpaccio with Curry Oil and Yuzu Vinaigrette from Cafe Hiro
93. White Board Specials at Taco Adobe
94. Coney Dog at LinX
95. Halal Pizzas from San Giovanni Pizzas
96. Clayuda at El Fortín
97. Lunch Buffet at Dosa Express
98. The Meats at Darya in Orange
99. Panocha at Taquería Zamora
100. Bean-and-Cheese Burrito from Del Taco