60. Chocolate Chip Cookie at Crave
It's rare for a shuttered restaurant to ever reopen, so when Cafe Chiarini was resurrected under the new name Crave by one of its former owners, we actually stood in awe upon our first visit, gawking through the glass partition, only half-believing the chocolate chip cookies we thought we'd never see again were real and in front of us.
Such is the power of a Crave cookie.
While one of the county's best chocolate chip cookies is back in action, unfortunately, it's bested by its glorious former self. And that's why it isn't higher on this list.
Back when Chiarini was on Third Street in SanTana, Judy Fleenor's kitchen churned out cookies that were larger in diameter than they are now, but that's not simply a knock on portion size. When baked in a larger size, the buttery, chocolate-packed discs would take on a crisp outer ring, while, because of the longer width, the center was so thin that it would nearly fall out of the cookie if you held it off the plate. That's a perfect balance for someone who loves Chips Ahoy AND Chewy Chips Ahoy.
Crave's cookie on La Cuatro is thicker and not as wide as its predecessor. What you get is the same "crust," but the middle is as thick as the outside ring, which provides for a chewier texture and a cookie structurally sound enough to hold its own weight.
It may not be the original, but it's a close second. And, where, once upon a time an Orange County existed without these delectable goodies, we're just happy take what we can get.
61. Lime Curd At Playground
62. Every Damn Thing at Mochi Cream
63. Most Things at Devilicious Donuts
64. Robiola Bosina at Provisions Market
65. Bite-Sized Stinky Tofu at Tofu King
66. Tacos Dorados at Tortas Ahogadas Los Primos
67. Tlacoyo at El Rincon Chilango
68. Whole Pig Roast at Haven Gastropub
69. Chingaderas at Smoqued BBQ
70. The Continuous Ramen Chronicles at The Playground
71. Shrimp & Grits at Slapfish
72. Bacon Cotton Candy at Biggy's Meat Market
73. Urban 3b at Urban Seoul
74. Waffles & Chicken from The Slummin' Gourmet & Waffles de Liege
75. Ahi Tuna Tartar at Nieuport 17
76. Chicken Wings at Hashigo Korean Kitchen
77. Brussels Sprouts Pizza at Pizzeria Mozza
78. Breakfast Sausage Hash at Thasos Greek Island Grille
79. Chocolate Doughnut with Jacobsen Sea Salt at Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee
80. Loco Moco Dog at Dogzilla
81. Fruit Tart at Le Croissant Dore
82. Daing Na Bangus (Marinated Milkfish) Silog Breakfast at Chowking
83. Strawberry Basil Lemonade at Mick's Karma Bar
84. Lemongrass Chicken Salad at Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop
85. Tofu Soup at Tasty Thai
86. Take-Out Dim Sum at Capital B.B.Q. and Dim Sum Express
87. Hodo Gwaja at Cocohodo
88. Popcorn Chicken Salad at Guppy House
89. Fried Okra at Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar
90. Salted Egg With Bitter Melon & Scrambled Egg at Tasty Noodle House
91. Boysenberry Lemonade from Bautista Creek Local Produce at SOCO Farmers' Market
92. Scallop Carpaccio with Curry Oil and Yuzu Vinaigrette from Cafe Hiro
93. White Board Specials at Taco Adobe
94. Coney Dog at LinX
95. Halal Pizzas from San Giovanni Pizzas
96. Clayuda at El Fortín
97. Lunch Buffet at Dosa Express
98. The Meats at Darya in Orange
99. Panocha at Taquería Zamora
100. Bean-and-Cheese Burrito from Del Taco