No. 72, Bacon Cotton Candy at Biggy's Meat Market
Hey, kids: guess what time is it? It's time to restart that Long March known as 100 Favorite Dishes (INSERT YEAR). YEAH!!!
Hey, don't ding us for listicles: Weekly DataLab studies show ustedes love this gimmick, launched in honor of our coming Best Of issue. Besides, it is rather fun to do this for us Forkers--an opportunity to highlight dishes from restaurants we'll never fully review, or secrets from old standbys. Anyhoo, let the march begin...
The OC Fair kicks off today, and what better time to tell you about one of our hidden gems being served. You'd expect this to be sold at the badass Bacon A-Fair. . .but it's not. Folks might not even notice this fluffy goodness unless they stopped and smelled the 2-foot long sausage on a stick at Biggy's. It's that under the radar.
We admittedly got impatient and moseyed down to Del Mar last month just to get a jump on some
good summer eats. While an honorable mention should go to Mike Peterson (we prefer Mike Bacon) and his ode to piggy, this welcome surprise is brought to us by Dominic Palmieri and his food-slinging utility belt. Did you SEE his get-up? He's like a Buffalo Bill/Inspector Gadget hybrid.
Sure. You're wondering what made this bacon treat worthwhile. It's that element of surprise when you bite into it. Most cotton candy is sickly sweet. Ours was smoky, with a subtle, maple-y sweetness. Perfect for us savory folk. We plan on picking some up before the Go-Gos concert and washing it down with bacon root beer (that you can find at Bacon A-Fair. They make quite the pairing.).
73. Urban 3b at Urban Seoul
74. Waffles & Chicken from The Slummin' Gourmet & Waffles de Liege
75. Ahi Tuna Tartar at Nieuport 17
76. Chicken Wings at Hashigo Korean Kitchen
77. Brussels Sprouts Pizza at Pizzeria Mozza
78. Breakfast Sausage Hash at Thasos Greek Island Grille
79. Chocolate Doughnut with Jacobsen Sea Salt at Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee
80. Loco Moco Dog at Dogzilla
81. Fruit Tart at Le Croissant Dore
82. Daing Na Bangus (Marinated Milkfish) Silog Breakfast at Chowking
83. Strawberry Basil Lemonade at Mick's Karma Bar
84. Lemongrass Chicken Salad at Greenleaf Gourmet Chopshop
85. Tofu Soup at Tasty Thai
86. Take-Out Dim Sum at Capital B.B.Q. and Dim Sum Express
87. Hodo Gwaja at Cocohodo
88. Popcorn Chicken Salad at Guppy House
89. Fried Okra at Memphis Soul Cafe & Bar
90. Salted Egg With Bitter Melon & Scrambled Egg at Tasty Noodle House
91. Boysenberry Lemonade from Bautista Creek Local Produce at SOCO Farmers' Market
92. Scallop Carpaccio with Curry Oil and Yuzu Vinaigrette from Cafe Hiro
93. White Board Specials at Taco Adobe
94. Coney Dog at LinX
95. Halal Pizzas from San Giovanni Pizzas
96. Clayuda at El Fortín
97. Lunch Buffet at Dosa Express
98. The Meats at Darya in Orange
99. Panocha at Taquería Zamora
100. Bean-and-Cheese Burrito from Del Taco