No 67, The Venetian Roll at Sushi at The Venetian Gentleman's Club
Yes, we went to the second floor of a gentleman's club in Anaheim looking for sushi. We weren't quite sure what to expect after paying cover, because seriously-- it was raw fish in a joint Magic Mike would likely frequent on his nights off. Yet we trusted our instincts and kept an open mind.
Proprietors bestow a namesake dish with the intention of showcasing what their cuisine is about; an ordered amuse bouche who for those who don't recognize the term. Although in Sushi Dave's domain, the term fits its surroundings. Ordering the Kitchen Sink or One Night Stand rolls may get you flirty rapport, but we craved the benchmark.
Executed without a second thought, he assembles the crab and avocado blend. It's topped with a pepper tuna that Dave breaks out the mini-torch for searing. To finish, eel sauce plus his branded jalapeno sauce (headed to a Sprouts grocer eventually). Regulars agree it's that spicy kick of whatever he bottles which completes the dish. And the option of turning around to catch a dancer shimmy herself up a pole has nothing to do with it. . . . we think.
The list so far:
68. Okaki Asparagus at Hamamori
69. The "Fried Egg" at Eat Chow
70. Nam Kao Tod at Vientiane Restaurant
71. Chicken Ramen at Jinya Ramen Bar
72. Pig Snout at Tacos & Carnitas Sahuayo
73. Kale and Mushroom Flatbread at 320 Main
74. Congee at King Lobster Palace
75. Fish and Chips at Slapfish
76. Fries at Playground
77. Carne en Su Jugo at La Cocina de Mi Abuelita
78. S'mores at Ti Amo Biscotti & More
79. Broken Rice at Dat Thanh
80. Bulgogi and Potato Pizza at Chicken & Pizza Love Letter
81. Braised Bacon at Break of Dawn
82. Cake Donut at Cream Pan
83. Bistec de Pollo at Mercado El Rey
84. The Rhino at Rancho a Go Go
85. Cabernet Brownies at Blackmarket Bakery
86. Cookie Monster at Lola Ice Cream and Deli
87. Polenta Board at CUCINA Enoteca
88. Falafel Taco at Taco Asylum
89. Wagon-Wheel Bread at THE RANCH Restaurant
90. Toothpick Tacos at Mexico Supermarket
91. Hoppin' John at Memphis at the Santora
92. Free Beans and Chips at Taqueria Zamora
93. Pig in a Blanket Waffle with Gringo Bandito at Cafe Calacas
94. "Pork Hash" at Huong Giang
95. Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla At Kogi
96. Licuados at Mil Jugos
97. Hawaiian Ahi Poke at California Fish Grill
98. Takoyaki at Takoyaki Tanota
99. Fiesta Noodles at Jollibee
100. Chilaquiles Verdes Con Huevos Estrellados at La Tablita California
Click here to view our 100 Favorite Dishes of 2010!
Click here to view our 100 Favorite Dishes of 2011!
Follow Stick a Fork In It on Twitter @ocweeklyfood or on Facebook! And don't forget to download our free Best Of App here!