No. 69, The "Fried Egg" at Eat Chow
|Anne Marie Panoringan|
Nicknamed "the most important meal of the day", we consider breakfast the tastiest. Eggs, pork products, hash browns and waffles. . . .what's not to love? We have ours with coffee or orange juice. The uppity mix in bubbly and call it a mimosa. Its mass appeal satisfies the heartiest of appetites. And at both locations of Eat Chow, we find a gorgeous entree of taste.
Sure, you can order a scramble or haute cake. There's an extensive section for Mexican chow, but one dish caught our fancy. Aptly called the "Fried Egg", it meets all our basic needs for a solid brekkie.
A duo of eggs, fried just so, blaze a golden trail over salty prosciutto when broken. Dragging our fork down, we encounter a slippery mound of fresh mozzarella pull away from the dish. Drizzled in a delicate tomato "essence" (because water sounds so blah), it doesn't quite blend with rich truffle oil; instead, the juice is easily sopped up by a grilled baguette base and then crowned by peppery arugula.
An open-faced version of our favorite meal, cheesy and meaty tastes aren't too rich when countered by those greens. Yet the yolks create an ultimate condiment, putting the bread foundation to use and absorbing all savory tendencies. Now that's one sexy bite.
The list so far:
70. Nam Kao Tod at Vientiane Restaurant
71. Chicken Ramen at Jinya Ramen Bar
72. Pig Snout at Tacos & Carnitas Sahuayo
73. Kale and Mushroom Flatbread at 320 Main
74. Congee at King Lobster Palace
75. Fish and Chips at Slapfish
76. Fries at Playground
77. Carne en Su Jugo at La Cocina de Mi Abuelita
78. S'mores at Ti Amo Biscotti & More
79. Broken Rice at Dat Thanh
80. Bulgogi and Potato Pizza at Chicken & Pizza Love Letter
81. Braised Bacon at Break of Dawn
82. Cake Donut at Cream Pan
83. Bistec de Pollo at Mercado El Rey
84. The Rhino at Rancho a Go Go
85. Cabernet Brownies at Blackmarket Bakery
86. Cookie Monster at Lola Ice Cream and Deli
87. Polenta Board at CUCINA Enoteca
88. Falafel Taco at Taco Asylum
89. Wagon-Wheel Bread at THE RANCH Restaurant
90. Toothpick Tacos at Mexico Supermarket
91. Hoppin' John at Memphis at the Santora
92. Free Beans and Chips at Taqueria Zamora
93. Pig in a Blanket Waffle with Gringo Bandito at Cafe Calacas
94. "Pork Hash" at Huong Giang
95. Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla At Kogi
96. Licuados at Mil Jugos
97. Hawaiian Ahi Poke at California Fish Grill
98. Takoyaki at Takoyaki Tanota
99. Fiesta Noodles at Jollibee
100. Chilaquiles Verdes Con Huevos Estrellados at La Tablita California
Click here to view our 100 Favorite Dishes of 2010!
Click here to view our 100 Favorite Dishes of 2011!
Follow Stick a Fork In It on Twitter @ocweeklyfood or on Facebook! And don't forget to download our free Best Of App here!