No. 89, Wagon-Wheel Bread at THE RANCH Restaurant
While we're not the first to reach for the bread basket when waiting for dinner, this EDC-esque carb form has us mesmerized with its many spokes for varying tastes. Crafted specially for the dining room at THE RANCH in Anaheim, it rolls over any comparable chews we reckon in this county.
A collaboration between chef Michael Rossi and Dean Kim of OC Baking Company, the idea was risen from the notion that Rossi hated throwing bread away. Kim's response, "Let's sit down and create something."
When quizzed, staff pause momentarily to distinguish between the seven shades of toast. Then (without skipping a beat) they recite each chewy knob in a clockwise manner. The dark squaw is reminiscent of a certain factory, hearty with molasses. Contrasting airy brioche takes little effort to polish off. Cranberry and walnut are a balanced pairing, reminding one of Thanksgiving feasts. Multi-grain rolls have us pretending we're eating healthy. Jalapeno gives a kick we seldom encounter in bread service. Sweet Portuguese transplants us to our Pacific Islander roots. The sourdough may be the only variety that has us reaching for a schmear of butter.
If anything, you're requesting a to-go container to bring the remaining spokes home to snack on during late night talk shows. How can bread keep one's interest? We've got seven reasons.
THE RANCH Restaurant & Saloon, 1025 E. Ball Rd, Anaheim, (714) 817-4200; www.theranch.com.
The list so far:
90. Toothpick Tacos at Mexico Supermarket
91. Hoppin' John at Memphis at the Santora
92. Free Beans and Chips at Taqueria Zamora
93. Pig in a Blanket Waffle with Gringo Bandito at Cafe Calacas
94. "Pork Hash" at Huong Giang
95. Sweet Chili Chicken Quesadilla At Kogi
96. Licuados at Mil Jugos
97. Hawaiian Ahi Poke at California Fish Grill
98. Takoyaki at Takoyaki Tanota
99. Fiesta Noodles at Jollibee
100. Chilaquiles Verdes Con Huevos Estrellados at La Tablita California
Click here to view our 100 Favorite Dishes of 2010!
Click here to view our 100 Favorite Dishes of 2011!
Follow Stick a Fork In It on Twitter @ocweeklyfood or on Facebook! And don't forget to download our free Best Of App here!