Greg Daniels of Haven Gastropub, Part 3
|Photo by Kimberly Valenzuela|
Greg Daniels, Haven Gastropub
16-20 live black mussels (preferably P.E.I.)
1/8 c. cornmeal
2 oz. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ shallot, minced
½ c. chopped Roma tomatoes
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
¾ c. Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Ale
¼ c. heavy cream
1 tsp. chopped herbs: equal parts oregano, rosemary, parsley, and thyme
1. Soak mussels in cold water, sprinkling the cornmeal over the surface.
2. Over the next 15-20 minutes, move the mussels around in the water occasionally. The mussels will feed on the cornmeal, purging out any sand they were holding inside.
3. After purging, remove the beards from the mussels (the "hairs" that are commonly found protruding from the shell). Just tug the beards from mussels - they come out fairly easily. Scrub and rinse away anything else on the outside shell.
4. Any mussels that are open and do not close when handling should be discarded.
5. In a heavy sauté pan, over high heat, cook garlic and shallots until golden brown in the olive oil.
6. Add the mussels to the pan and sauté.
7. Add chopped Roma tomatoes.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Deglaze with Arrogant Bastard Ale.
10. Add chopped herbs.
11. Cover pan and steam until all of the mussels have opened. If any refuse to open, throw them away--do not force them open.
12. Add heavy cream and stir.
13. Serve with sliced and toasted French bread or a demi-baguette.