DUI Patrols Will Be Out on Super Bowl Sunday
Countywide DUI roving patrols will be held Sunday. Why? Because in 2008 and 2009, more people were killed on Super Bowl Sunday due to alcohol-involved collisions than any other day during the year, according to authorities.
"We want to pass our safety message to everyone who will be drinking this weekend" said Sgt. J. Brittain of the Orange County Sheriff's Department's Traffic Bureau. "Please make the right decision and pass your keys to a designated driver before the Super Bowl party begins. Getting caught driving while impaired will result in costly penalties including the loss of your driving privileges."
The campaign includes the following tips for those hosting Super Bowl parties:
* Make sure all of your guests designate their sober drivers in advance, or help arrange ride-sharing with other sober drivers.
* Serve lots of food--and include lots of non-alcoholic beverages at the party.
* Stop serving alcohol at the end of the third quarter of the game and begin serving coffee and dessert.
* Keep the numbers for local cab companies handy, and take the keys away from anyone who is thinking of driving while impaired.
* Remember, you can be held liable if someone you served alcohol to ends up in an impaired driving crash.
Here are tips for those attending parties:
* Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Pace yourself--eat enough food, take breaks, and alternate with non-alcoholic drinks.
* If you don't have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, friend, or family member to come get you; or stay where you are and sleep it off until you are sober.
* Never let a friend leave your sight if you think they are about to drive while impaired.
* Always buckle up--it's still your best defense against other impaired drivers.
* Bet it all on the Saints.
Okay, that last one is made up.