Bicycling: So Hot Right Now
In Long Beach, they are hot in the stolen property sense.
More on that in a bit.
First, we turn more positively to Orange County's LB.
That's LB as in Laguna Beach, where Bike-On Laguna Beach presents another drop-in, community-wide bicycle ride beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday.
The ride begins at the corner of Park Avenue and Legion Street and passes the Farmers Market, the Transition Laguna Beach Garden Party, the U.S. Post Office and Laguna Coffee.
So, if locals pedal fast enough ahead of the pack, they can rush in and take care of most of their weekend errands on the route.
Actually, fast-pedaling is also not required. The level of difficulty of this ride is rated at: "Easy Pedaling."
Ride-On peddles the following to justify bicycling:
- "Our transportation system requires 70 percent of the oil we consume. Help break our national addiction to fossil fuels, ride a bike."
- "Obesity is the second leading cause of death after tobacco use."
- "Fifty percent of the working population commutes five miles or less to work."
- "Eighty-two percent of trips five miles or less are made by personal motor vehicle."
Ride-On peddles the following to justify Saturday's ride:
- "Discover safe bike routes through Laguna neighborhoods."
They left out the fact that you'll meet some cool, committed people.
Speaking of committed, we've discovered Long Beach Police are committed to stemming the rise of bike thefts in town.