Looking Back at 2008: The Celeb-Reality Edition
It was Oliver Wendell Holmes who opined that a new truth is better than an old celebrity-tinged news item, or at least he would have opined that had he lived in our celeb-obsessed times. So it is in that spirit these 15
2) Bob Walters, a 66-year-old Orange resident, paid $200,000 in January to be the 33rd passenger on billionaire Virgin Airways owner/adventurer Richard Branson's new civilian space flights that are planned to begin some time this year. So Walters could ride shotgun with another seat purchaser from his age group: Madonna.
4) Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in March effectively fired the chairman and vice chairman of the
5) Richie Sambora was arrested in
6) Orange County's preeminent immigrant basheress, Barbara Coe, in April forwarded members of her hate coven an interview by a man who claims Sonny Bono didn't die in a skiing accident in 1998, as widely believed, but that he knew too much and was murdered--DUNT-DUNT-DUNNNNN!!! In her intro, Coe praised the Cher appendage-turned-Palm Springs congressman as "an outspoken American patriot who worked tirelessly to halt the illegal alien invasion of our nation AND focused his efforts on halting illegal aliens bringing drugs and weapons into the U.S." Evidence Bono was murdered "begged for an investigation" but was "ignored by both the mainstream media and members of Congress," said Coe, who may be on to something. Because if anyone knows "ignored," it's Barbara Coe.
7) A vibrating plastic replica of porn star Jenna Jameson's vagina (retail price: $250) was stolen from
9) Ultimate Fighting Champion Quentin Jackson, 30, of Irvine, lived up to his "Rampage" nickname in July, leading cops on a car chase through Costa Mesa and the Balboa Peninsula and hitting two cars on the 55 freeway before crashing and finally being arrested. His mental health was questioned, he broke with his longtime manager and later a 38-year-old
10) Jenna Jameson was back in the news in August, when it was reported the by then retired porn star was carrying the love child of another UFC competitor, "Huntington Beach Bad Boy" Tito Ortiz. Video of the delivery should be an instant collector's items since it will document something coming out of Jenna's hoo-hoo as opposed to going in.
11) Celeb-reality entered local politics during the general election as the Orange County Democrats election night party Nov. 4 included an appearance by a show business giant, if by "giant" you mean Wee Man of Jackass fame. Meanwhile, Sammy Hagar kicked in funds to the reelection campaign of Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (
12) The executive director of the Downtown Business Improvement District was so pissed over a girl being approached at Huntington Beach Pier by MTV staffers looking for teens to appear on Sex ... with Mom and Dad that the incident was taken up with the City Council in November. Normally, such prudery would warrant our condemnation, but any attempt to thwart the forward progress of Dr. Drew Pinsky's gawdawful reality TV career must be applauded.
13) Lauri Waring Peterson announced in December that she was leaving The Real Housewives of Orange County because her TV exposure was unfair to her son, who was battling addictions. When the cameras stopped showing up, Peterson confided she might reconsider.
14) Fergie's prom date was sentenced in December to eight-plus years in the slammer after being convicted of knocking off a Santa Ana bank. Security cameras caught Vincent Dean Malicek at the teller window of a Wells Fargo bank inside a supermarket. He was the date of Stacy Ann Ferguson at the prom of Wilson High School in Hacienda Heights, according to the celebrity muckrakers at TMZ.com, whose most shocking revelation was the couple's prom photo, which showed Fergie was waaaaay more Fergalicious before establishing the ridden-hard-and-put-away-wet look she perfected with the Black Eyed Peas.