Teabagging Chuck DeVore
|Photo by John Gilhooley|
|Does Chuck DeVore have an app for teabagging?|
Guess ol' Chuckie's not put off by the shit coming out lately showing a majority of teabaggers are racist, uninformed and believe Barack Obama is a socialist Muslim one worlder--while sizable numbers of TBs do not think the president was born in the U.S., consider him ineligible to hold the highest office in the land and believe he may be the Anti-Christ.
(Scott Pasch gives an enlightening run down of the two polls that produced those findings here, and he uses the new nickname for these conservative whack jobs that's sweeping a great nation: hatriots.)
DeVore gets the Tea Party Express nod Saturday at a Nevada rally headlined by Alaska's ex-governor Sarah Palin and "Joe the Plumber," Samuel J. Wurzelbacher, reports the Los Angeles Times.
It's the group's first endorsement in the 2010 primary election cycle, reports the Times, which quotes DeVote saying it "sends a signal to primary voters that I'm not the business-as-usual, establishment candidate."
Does it also show DeVore's views are in lines with the wingnut brigade?
John Avalon's new book, Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe Is Hijacking America, seemed like a good jumping off point for the national, nonpartisan Harris Poll to see how thoroughly anti-Obama views are infiltrating the American psyche.
Among everyone polled, the results were disturbing:
- 40% of adults believe he is a socialist.
- More than 30% think he wants to take away Americans' right to own guns and that he is a Muslim.
- More than 25% believe he wants to turn over the sovereignty of the United States to a world government, has done many things that are unconstitutional, that he resents America's heritage, and that he does what Wall Street tells him to do.
As you can imagine, those numbers jump up significantly when Republicans are isolated, which majorities believing Obama:
- is a socialist (67%);
- wants to take away Americans' right to own guns (61%);
- is a Muslim (57%);
- wants to turn over the sovereignty of the United States to a one-world government (51%).
Meanwhile, large numbers believe he:
- resents America's heritage (47%);
- does what Wall Street and the bankers tell him to do (40%);
- was not born in the United States and so is not eligible to be president (45%);
- is the "domestic enemy that the U.S. Constitution speaks of" (45%);
- is a racist (42%);
- wants to use an economic collapse or terrorist attack as an excuse to take dictatorial powers (41%);
- is doing many of the things that Adolf Hitler did (38%).
A whopping 24% of the wingnuts who live among us believe Obama may be the Anti-Christ.