An Incomplete List of the Severe Threats to the Santa Ana Mountains
|Tract homes encroach on Santa Ana Mountains.|
1) The Irvine Company wants to build 4,000 homes on historic ranch from Jamboree Road to Limestone Canyon. More information here
2) Rutter Development wants to build 65 homes on historic ranch along Santiago Canyon Road. The info right here
|Masticator used to remove wildlife habitat for 300 foot fuel break.|
4) US Forest Service wants to masticate, burn, and remove thousands of acres of habitat within the Cleveland National Forest under a misleading Bush-era land management policy called the Healthy Forests Initiative.
5) Major peaks are covered with cellular, PCS, WISP, microwave, paging, and two-way mobile radio communication towers.
6) Nevada Hydro Company wants to build a hydroelectric dam, reservoir, and utility corridor.
7) Liberty Quarry wants to dig large-scale sand and gravel pit near the Santa Margarita River.
8) TriTunnel Express and county supervisors want to build a highway tunnel and water conduit through the mountains between Riverside and Orange County.
9) Transportation Corridor Agencies want to build the Foothill-South Toll Road extension through foothills.
|Litter on the Santa Ana Mountains.|
11) Pot farms pollute and degrade nearly pristine roadless areas.
12) Frequent fires are human-caused during Santa Anas.
13) Most Orange County residents are not aware of or do not appreciate the Santa Ana Mountains.
I invite you to enjoy and respect the mountains, share with others, and help us create new strategies to preserve the mountains for everyone. Visit or contact us with your preservation ideas, and donate to the Land Acquisition Fund. Thanks!
Follow OC Weekly on Twitter @ocweekly or on Facebook!