[UPDATED With Wolfe Pleading Not Guilty:] KFI Says Charges Against Officer Joe Wolfe 'Imminent'

See Update No. 2 at the end of this post on ex-Officer Joe Wolfe being arraigned today on manslaughter and excessive-force charges.

See Update No. 1 on a media report that the Grand Jury will convene to decide whether or not to indict a third officer involved in the Kelly Thomas beating.

616_1336682721.jpg
We don't know when, but it looks like Officer Joe Wolfe will be charged for his role in the Kelly Thomas killing. Citing "highly placed sources" familiar with the  case, KFI AM 640 said charges are imminent. Two officers-- Manuel Ramos and Jay Cicinelli--currently  await trial in the case, but many, including Kelly's father Ron Thomas have repeatedly demanded charges be filed against Wolfe as well. 

Video of the July 2011 beating shows an unarmed Kelly Thomas backing away from officers Ramos and Wolfe with his hands up when Wolfe suddenly strikes Kelly with a baton. The ensuing beating ended with several officers dog-piling Thomas and smashing his face; he went into a coma that night and died in a hospital five days later.

Earlier today, Thomas told the Weekly he had no personal knowledge of the charges, although he said that several media outlets have contacted him for comment. Orange County District Attorney spokesperson Farrah Emmami said she had no information to offer at this time. 

UPDATE, SEPT. 18, 1:30 P.M.: The Orange County Grand Jury is scheduled to meet tomorrow to consider indicting Wolfe for his role in the killing. The Orange County Register has spoken to Wolfe's attorney, Vicki Podberesky, who was notified by the District Attorney's office late last week of its intentions to present evidence to the Grand Jury.

Officer-Joseph-Wolfe.jpg
Joe Wolfe
UPDATE, SEPT. 27, 2:32 P.M.: It's official, the Orange County Grand Jury indicted former Wolfe, who was arraigned today on one felony count of involuntary manslaughter and one felony count of the use of excessive force.

Wolfe entered a not guilty plea. Conviction could send him to prison for four years. He's currently free on $25,000 bail and has a scheduled pre-trial hearing in Santa Ana on Nov. 2.

The grand jury heard testimony from 10 witnesses and examined 113 exhibits of evidence over three days beginning Sept. 19 before returning an indictment Monday, according to the DA's office.

Follow OC Weekly on Twitter @ocweekly or on Facebook
My Voice Nation Help
3 comments
guest
guest

4 years in prison? $25,000 bail? for manslaughter under the color of authority? Beating a little guy to a pulp?

 

You get more than that for a bj from your 17-year old girlfriend!

jeffrey812
jeffrey812

Blind leading the blind? Looks like Gregory was right.

Now Trending

From the Vault

 

Fashion

Loading...