What do Walt Disney and Ronald Reagan have in common?
They both threw actors they felt to be communist sympathizers under the FBI's red-baiting bus!
But Disney and Reagan have something else in common, too: starting in July, both men will have many of their personal items on display for all to see at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum.
Learn more about which of Walt's personal items will be making their way to the Simi Valley-based museum this summer after the jump.
D23: The Official Disney Fan Club announced last week that the largest-ever exhibition of Disney history will open at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum in Simi Valley this summer.
Titled D23 Presents Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives, the collection will showcase more than 500 Disney artifacts, many of which have never been seen by the public. The temporary exhibition will be the largest ever held at the Reagan Library, and will feature iconic props, costumes, artwork and artifacts from the Walt Disney Archives.
So what Disneyana gems can fans expect? Here are just a few:
- The original script, written by Walt Disney, for Mickey Mouse's film debut in 1928's Steamboat Willie
- A faithful recreation of Walt's formal office from the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, including original furnishings and many of his personal items
- Hand-drawn artwork and hand-sculpted models used in the production of some of the most beloved Disney animated film classics ever created, including Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi and Sleeping Beauty
- Props from classic Disney live-action productions, including Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Absent-Minded Professor, The Shaggy Dog, Babes in Toyland, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and more
- Breathtaking props, costumes, and set pieces from recent Disney classics, including the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, TRON: Legacy, National Treasure and Captain America
- Intricately sculptured busts of all 44 U.S. Presidents that were created for Audio-Animatronics® figures seen in the The Hall of Presidents attraction at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort
- A salute to Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, showcasing theme park artwork, Audio-Animatronics® characters, memorabilia and authentic attraction vehicles
D23's Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives opens July 6 and runs through April 2013. Admission to the exhibition is included with the purchase of admission to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum. D23 members will receive $2 off each adult admission.
For ticket info and more exhibition details stay tuned to D23 here
or the Reagan Library here
1313 S. Hardor Blvd., Anaheim, CA