Fullerton Police Chief Reacts to Charges in Kelly Thomas Case
|Fullerton Acting Police Chief Kevin Hamilton|
"The Fullerton Police Department will continue to cooperate with the District Attorney's office in their investigation," he told reporters during a 4 p.m. press conference at the Fullerton PD headquarters.
Councilmembers Bruce Whitaker and Sharon Quirk-Silva attended the short meeting; Mayor F. Richard Jones and councilmembers Don Bankhead and Pat McKinley were noticeably absent.
|Hamilton: "A tragic event"|
"We cannot make a determination as to specifically how long it will take the FBI and the Los Angeles Office of Independent Review to complete their investigations," he added.
The police officers involved in the Kelly Thomas case are still under administrative leave, Hamilton said before concluding his statement.
"This has been a tragic event for Kelly Thomas, the Thomas family, the community, the police department and for all of those who were involved," Hamilton concluded. "To those of you who live in, work in and visit the city of Fullerton, your police department remains fully operational and we will continue to provide police service to our community."
After Hamilton made his statement without answering questions, many members of the group of protesters calling themselves "Kelly's Army" gathered in front of the police station cheering the decision made by Rackauckas earlier in the day. They chanted "Two down/Four to go/Kelly's Army/We won't go!"
- Our complete Kelly Thomas archives
- Kelly Thomas Killing Prompts DA Tony Rackauckas' Finest Moment
- An Inside Look At Ron Thomas' Day At The District Attorney's Office and the Arraignment of The Two Fullerton Policemen Charged
- Kenton Hampton, Who A Witness Says Punched And Kneed Kelly Thomas In The Head, Is Allegedly Tied To A Third Act Of Violence
- Fullerton Police Cites People for Honking at Protest
- Kelly Thomas Died Of Blunt Force Trauma To The Head, Says Attorney Garo Mardirossian, At Press Conference; Medical Records Released
- Ron Thomas Hopes Fullerton Police Officers Who Killed His Son Are So Scared of Threats That "They Have Diarrhea Every Day"
- Sources: Slidebar Kitchen Placed Call Resulting in Kelly Thomas' Death
- State Funds Classes To Teach Law Enforcement How To Interact With Mentally Ill, Majority Of Officials In OC Haven't Taken It