Coyote Sightings, Pet Attacks Prompt Warning
As a result, the force is warning about increased coyote activity and the need to keep beloved house pets close.
The city's close proximity to the Bolsa Chica Wildlife Preserve and Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station, both which have been a known habitat for coyotes, is cited as the cause for the increased sightings in residential neighborhoods.
|Guess who's coming to dinner?|
- Move small pets inside once the sun starts to go down.
- Install motion sensor lights in yard.
- Tightly secure garbage cans--this will make them less attractive to the wild animals.
- Carry an air horn when walking your pet in the event of a coyote encounter.
- If you spot a coyote (and are without an air horn), make loud noises in an attempt to scare the coyote away.
The Westminster PD Animal Control Unit has posted warnings regarding coyotes on the city website. Animal Control officers have coordinated their efforts with other city and county animal control officers to track coyote sightings and to get the word out to area residents. Don't hesitate to report coyote sightings to the WPD Animal Control Unit at 714.548.3201.