UCI Explores Philip K. Dick in OC
|Flickr user NikiSublime|
|Dick head on a train.|
UC Irvine is picking up the thread now with a literary event that will explore the strange mojo between Dick and OC.
The event is this Friday at noon, and it's titled "A County Darkly: Philip K. Dick in the OC."
"A panel of acclaimed local science fiction writers will discuss how Dick--author of some of the bleakest and most influential science fiction in American literature--was influenced by Orange County, where he spent the last 10 years of his life."The moderated panel will include:
- Gregory Benford, author of The Sunborn and UCI physics & astronomy professor;
- James Blaylock, author of The Shadow on the Doorstep, 1986 winner of the Philip K. Dick Award and assistant professor of English at Chapman University;
- Jeff Hicks, English doctoral candidate at UC Riverside;
- Rob Latham, editor of Science Fiction Studies and associate professor of English at UC Riverside; and
- Tim Powers, author of Last Call and two-time Philip K. Dick Award winner.
The event is free (besides parking; $8 in the structure at West Peltason and Pereira drives) and open to the public. Noon, Friday, May 21. Room 1030, Humanities Gateway (bldg. 611, grid E7 on campus map)