Website Predicts When Next Earthquake Will Hit
|How far is Kobe, Japan, from 92626 again?|
"Open Hazards is a group of scientists, technologists, and business
people dedicated to the proposition that, through advances in
forecasting and sensor technology, as well as an open, web-based
approach to public information availability and sharing, we can enable
a more sustainable human society in the face of severe, recurring
In other words, the geniuses--who apparently include reputable and well-known seismologists-- behind openhazards.com forecast earthquakes anywhere in the world . . .
. . . including, gulp, Orange County.
On the first page of the site is a form where you can type in
your location and how far in advance--from one week to 5 years, with
several intervals in between--you want to know the chances there will
be an earthquake that registers 5.0 or greater on the Richter Scale.
Sitting in the 92626 ZIP Code, that's what I just punched in. Here's what I was told:
* There's a 32 percent chance in the next year.
* There's an 86 percent chance in the next 5 years.
Change the setting to quakes within 25 miles of 92626, and the odds improve (of not getting shaken, not the other way around).
* There's at 0.36 percent chance of a quake 5.0 or greater within 25 miles of 92626 in the next month.
* There's a 4.3 percent chance in the next year.
* There's a 20 percent chance in the next 5 years.
And there's a 100 percent chance predictin' scares the bejesus outta me!