LYT's Film Pick of the Weekend 4-4-08
For the first time in many weeks, there's actually a movie I'm excited to see this weekend. And I probably won't get to it because I'm busy cramming for the Newport Beach fest. But I ain't gonna lie, I really do want to see THE RUINS.
I know what you're thinking, that this is just another SHUTTER or ONE MISSED CALL or any of those other crappy "horror" movies that haven't screened in time for review and I've ended up covering. But I'm thinking not, and here's why;
1. It's rated R. Those other ones were all pandering PG-13. If a movie is rated R and doesn't screen, it has a chance of being good (see also CRANK, SAW III).
2. It's based on a book. In horror movie code, that means "might have a script that's slightly above stupid."
3. It has decent actors in it, namely Jena Malone from DONNIE DARKO, and Shawn Ashmore from the X-MEN movies. Malone in particular doesn't usually do mindless garbage, and Ashmore probably has enough action figure residuals that he doesn't have to do stuff he doesn't like.
4. It's about killer vines getting all under your skin and stuff. Sounds high-concept, but this kind of thing actually happens, sort of.
5. Fangoria's Michael Gingold gave it a good review. And he didn't like any of those other non-screening movies I mentioned.
So I'm looking forward to it, at some point in the future when I have free time. You guys need to go see it now so it'll do well enough to still be in theaters by the time that free time of mine comes around. it is your duty as my disciples. Thank you.