Friday's Headlines. No Surprises: Slut Day instead of Halloween
- It's Day Six and the Santiago fire is still only 30 percent contained. Fourteen homes were destroyed, and 750 more are threatened in Silverado Canyon. The Register reports that a liquid was used to ignite the blaze along Santiago Canyon Road at two separate points. Sheriff Carona says his department had received 250 tips thus far, but no suspects have been named. A $250,000 reward has been put out for information leading to the arrest of the responsible parties.
- Blame Game: Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair may be all praises for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's response to the fires, but others are saying he was too slow, especially when it came to getting much needed firefighting aircraft into the murky SoCal skies.
- OC Hospital Fined: The Garden Grove Hospital and Medical Center is among nine hospitals the state is fining $25,000 for "infractions that put patients at imminent risk of injury or death," reports the Los Angeles Times.
- Against Adult Halloween: "Holidays are for children and conservatives," writes LAT columnist Joel Stein, who comes out against adults celebrating Halloween in today's edition. "It's transforming formerly child-friendly costume shops from fun-creepy into Chris Hansen-creepy." Stein proposes a new holiday, "Slut Day," for those horny Halloweeners. "It will take place the first Saturday of every August, a time both barren of holidays and plenty hot enough for really degrading costumes."
- Today at the OC Fairgrounds: The 10th annual Trick or Treat Festival goes on from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. today. Details over at the Daily Pilot. More things to do over at Rachel Leeson's daily To Do Tonight roundup.