Woman Dead After a Possible Overdose at HARD Summer Identified as Emily Tran of Anaheim
An autopsy was pending for Tran, who died at an El Monte hospital after attending the electronic music festival at the Whittier Narrows Recreation Area.
Fred Corral of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office said her death was being treated as a possible drug overdose, noting that hospital officials said the woman had apparently ingested methamphetamine. Final results of an autopsy could take weeks, pending the results of toxicology tests.
As our sister paper L.A. Weekly reported, meth is a component of ecstasy, so it's not clear if separate drugs were involved. Corral said sheriff's officials conducted an initial test or inquiry that led them to believe those drugs might have caused the woman's death.
Hard was held at Whittier Narrows Recreation Area this year after its previous home, Los Angeles State Historic Park, was closed for renovations. Hard's talent lineup featured rave-crowd favorites, including Tiesto, Skrillex, and more. Raves were shut out of the taxpayer-owned L.A. Coliseum and Sports Arena in 2010 following the ecstasy-overdose death of a 15-year-old girl who sneaked into an event that year.
Sheriff's officials said more than 100 people were arrested during the two-day festival, but they were largely cited and released. Many of the arrests were drug related, but some also involved minors carrying fake IDs, officials said. Roughly 38,000 people attended the festival each day.