The 50 Best Things About the OC Music Scene
Hey, Orange County--I know you don't hear this a lot, but we're sorry. Our musicians came down pretty hard on you a couple weeks ago, telling you how bad you suck and all that. It was harsh, nay, uncalled for--and it's kind of our fault for egging them on. The truth is, well, you're pretty great.
John Gilhooley OC, you fuckin' rock! Love, the bands and the fans
No, you don't have all the bluster and promise of some over-hyped industry town. Rarely does the world pay attention to you unless you have a brush fire, an Octomom sighting or some stupid reality show starts filming here. But in a way, that's exactly what makes you special. As far as your music scene goes, it's always been a wild and wonderful jungle unto itself, hidden from the bright lights and filled with some colorful, scrappy, and compassionate animals. And now some of those animals want to speak up and explain--in their own words--all the reasons why they would be nothing (well, mostly nothing) without you. And so, in honor of this week's Best of OC Issue, here's our list of the 50 Best Things About the OC Music Scene.
50. Playing in OC means I get to sleep in my own bed--this cuts the chance of catching crabs, or some other frightening bed-bug type creature, down by at least 50%.--Jack Grisham, T.S.O.L.
49. You can run into Rikk Agnew at the grocery store.--Kyle Gibson, Audacity
48. OC Weekly and OC Music Awards making me feel significant.--Jeremy Schnaible, The Field Trip
Jeremy Schnaible (the one with the crown): "You like us, you really like us!
47. Musicians that have a good camaraderie and show up to shows to support other bands.--Chris Dorame, Solution
46. If your band has all white dudes in it and you play reggae music, you'll do well here.--N3utron, rapper
45. There is nothing better than going to Molcasalsa with your friends after playing an amazing show!--Eric Bootow, Sederra
44. Shout out to Eric, Ken and Amanda who work at Detroit Bar, they're very accommodating people.--Tony Tancredi, Mt. Ossa
43. You can find dens filled with debauchery, music and art. Something you don't automatically think of when you imagine "The OC."--Kalva Won, producer (Grn+Gld Collective)
42. Shows in Pterodacdudes garage; sweat to death, destroy the world!--Manny Lopez, Dahga Bloom
40. When Clownhooley's microphone is turned down during our gigs, as requested.--Dirt Williams, The Yeastie Boys