Last Shot: Coachella 2, Cancer 0

Categories: Last Shot

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for self3-001.jpg
Lindsey Best
Andrew Youssef
[Editor's Note: Longtime concert photographer and fellow Weekling Andrew Youssef found out almost two years ago that he had Stage IV colon cancer. In that time, he has continued to shoot tons of music events for us on top of other freelance work and holding a day job at a hospital, of all places. This series allows him to tell his story in his own words.]

My anxiety levels finally dropped to "normal" when I pulled my car into the garage. Arriving home late on Monday night, I immediately collapsed into my favorite chair. My goal of photographing two weekends of Coachella was accomplished. It still ranks up there as one of my proudest moments, as I ended up photographing 12 of 13 nights this month. Cancer has altered many things in my life, but I will summon every ounce of resolve to not let it prevent me from doing what I love.

I barely had time to recover from the first weekend, as I stayed in Indio until the late afternoon and stopped at the Fox Theater Pomona to see a stellar set by the Postal Service. Things took a disastrous turn on Tuesday, as one of the memory-card slots on my primary camera was damaged moments before catching a raucous set by Franz Ferdinand and Palma Violets at the Fonda Theatre. Instead of panicking, I proceeded to order 128 GB of extra memory through my phone for immediate delivery on Thursday since I couldn't get my camera repaired in time for Coachella. My nerves were starting to fray; this was the last thing I needed to worry about.

How to Destroy Angels impressed me so much with their show at the Fox last week that I booked a last-minute trip on Wednesday to see them in Monterey at the Golden State Theatre. An early flight in and prolonged sleep-deprivation had me napping in my hotel bed for an unplanned four-hour stretch. My decision to take it easy on Thursday was well-founded, as I ended up having to wait for the delivery of my new memory cards. Another unexpected wrinkle in the day was that my oncologist wanted to see me in his office to go over my latest PET scan. The results from this scan will be discussed in a future column.

Since I was squeezed into my oncologist's schedule, I ended up leaving much later than planned, but I still didn't have the stress of shooting a show and editing the photos, which would have kept me up late. Being in bed by 10 p.m. was extremely beneficial. I was ready to tackle Coachella. Using knowledge gained the prior weekend, I medicated myself each day, and I am happy to report I avoided stomach problems throughout the weekend. Friday was also the coolest day, and I photographed 24 bands. It was an amazing day; I felt re-energized. The bands seemed well-rested and more energetic, and Blur and How to Destroy Angels were highlights once more.

Sponsor Content

Now Trending

Upcoming Events

From the Vault